Hot Pot Butternut Pies
Simply delish…don’t we all just love a good pie.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: +/- 50 minutes
30 ml olive oil
¼ tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves(10 to 15 leaves)
1 small onion finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
1 tbsp garlic & ginger paste
2-3 green chillies chopped (optional)
1– 2 tbsp chilli powder
½ tbsp coriander powder
½ Tbsp Fennel/somph powder
1 tsp jeera powder
1 small butternut peeled and cubed
2 courgette thinly slice
½ cup peas
2 medium tomatoes pureed
1 tsp plain white flour
800g Puff pastry for pot pies or 400g for pastry rolls
100ml full cream milk
Handful chopped fresh coriander leaves
Let’s cook 🙂
- Heat oil in a sauce pan. Toss in mustard seeds & curry leaves which should pop and splatter. Add in onion, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Once onions are golden brown add garlic & ginger paste, fry for 30 seconds. Add in chilli, coriander, fennel, and jeera powder, sauté for a few seconds; quickly toss in butternut, courgette and peas. Give it a good stir coating all the vegetable with aromatic spices. – cook until vegetables are tender.8-10 minutes. Add a bit of water in needed.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 2 – 5 minutes
- Mix water and flour together and pour into curry. Cook until gravy thickens. Curry must cool down before packing into pastry
- Cut pastry into squares and fill – bringing the 4 corners of pastry together, pinch tightly leaving a small gap in the middle for air to escape. Cut off excess pastry taking care it’s not too thick.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-35 minutes at 200 oC until golden brown.
- Oven temperatures please bake until fully cooked.
- Alternatively divide 400g of pastry into 4 – spoon in filling, roll into logs and bake for 20-35minutes.