Meat Free Moussaka (served with Crostinis, béchamel & salad) another one of my award winning dishes:-)
Another one of my award winning dishes.
1 Large Brinjal
1 medium potato
50ml Olive oil
¼ tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
2-3 bay leaves
1 medium onion finely chopped
2-3 green chillies
1 tbsp 15 ml freshly ground garlic/ginger
1 tbsp 15 ml coriander powder
½ tbsp 7 ml cumin powder
1-2 tbsp 15-30 ml mix masala
½ cup (125 ml) red pepper finely chopped
½ cup (125 ml) yellow pepper finely chopped
2 cups Fry’s Soya Mince
½ cup 125 ml frozen peas
½ (200ml) can tomatoes
1 tsp 15 ml salt
40 ml fresh coriander finely chopped (add more if you like)
40 ml flat leave parsley finely chopped (add more if you like)
1 knob butter
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
50 ml white flour
400ml fresh milk
80 ml grated cheddar cheese
Let’s Cook 🙂
- Cut brinjals lengthwise, scoop out flesh, chop and set aside. Lightly salt brinjal shells.
- Peel, cube and boil potato until tender. Roughly mash. Season with salt, pepper and a knob of butter. Keep aside
- Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add mustard seeds; once it splatters add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, bay leaves chillies and onions. Fry until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic/ginger – fry for a few seconds. Spoon in coriander powder, cumin powder and mix masala.
- Toss in chopped brinjal, peppers and salt – cook for 5-8minutes. Add soya mince, peas. Cook for 5 minutes
- Throw in tomatoes and cook on medium heat for 10 – 15 minutes. Add parsley and coriander leaves
- Preheat oven at 180 o C. Wipe out brinjal shells with paper towel and lightly oil. Layer mash potato and top with filling.
- Bake for 30 – 40 Minutes. (adjust timing – ovens differ) 15-20 mins
- béchamel – In a saucepan melt butter, stir in flour. Cook for a few seconds. Add milk stirring constantly until thickened. Add cheese, nutmeg and salt.
- Serve with Crostinis, sauce and salad.
Suggestions: You can either pour white sauce on brinjals and bake or just serve in on the side.