Halloumi Spicy Rice
Aaaah spicy Halloumi cheese….absolutely delicious …..I just love rice and love it even more when I spice it up.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1 ½ cups rice (basmati or rice parboil rice)
Ingredients for Special Sauce 🙂
15ml olive oil
½ large onion finely chopped (approximately ½ cup)
8-10 dry red chillies
5 cloves garlic roughly chopped
⅓ cup finely chopped red capsicum
1 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp cumin powder
¼ tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp freshly ground black peppercorns
1 tsp salt
½ tsp brown sugar
1 ½ cups water
45ml grape vinegar
1 tbsp 15ml olive oil
1 small red onion cut into quarters
1 cup carrots sliced
1 cup small brinjal/aubergines sliced (I used the small thin longish ones)
1 cup courgettes sliced
1 medium red pepper/capsicum cut into squares
250g halloumi cheese cut into 3x4cm
Salt as required
Handful of fresh coriander finely chopped
Let’s Cook 🙂
- Cook rice as per instruction on packet. Cool and keep aside.
- Keep aside
- Once mixture has cooled down significantly use a hand blender or food processor to grind until it forms a nice smooth sauce
- Then add water and sugar. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture reduces to almost half the quantity – 8-10. Turn off heat and let it cool down slightly. (while this is happening prepare veg for cooking)
- Toss in capsicum, coriander powder, cumin powder, fennel, oregano, black pepper and salt. Cook on medium heat until capsicum is softens – 5mins.
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onion, chillies and garlic – cook until onions are soft and slightly golden brown 1-2minutes
- In a wok or big pan – heat oil. Toss in onions, carrots, brinjals, courgettes and capsicum/red pepper – cook for 5 minutes until vegetable is cooked but still has a crunch.
- Toss in halloumi and cook for a minute or two. (alternatively you can fry halloumi cheese separately adding it lastly to the dish)
- Pour in sauce. Give it a good stir. Now lower heat – spoon in rice, if you can toss to incorporate sauce and veg evenly or gently mix with a fork. Salt as required.
- Mix in coriander leaves.
- Serve immediately with a squeeze of lime and tomato & cucumber sambals….:-)
*Please take note that halloumi is salty so take heed when seasoning the dish with salt.