Vegetarian Sushi served with Rasam :-)
There’s no doubt that veg sushi is aesthetically pleasing to the eye but somehow I felt that it lacked in the taste department. For a while I played around with combination in my head and Kaa Boom!!! What a marriage…Highly recommended
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes for rice.
2 cups (500ml) sushi rice
4 cups water
2 tbsp (30ml) rice vinegar
4 Nori sheets (seaweed)
1 small carrot julienned
1 small red pepper julienned
1 extra small red cabbage julienned
1 avocado julienned
¼ cucumber julienned
Sesame seeds for garnish
1 grass mat for rolling sushi
Piece cling wrap for rolling sushi
Let’s get this sushi rolling:-)
- Boil rice as per instruction of pack. While rice is boiling, wash and julienne all vegetable.
- Add rice vinegar to cooked rice and allow to cool
- Place nori sheets shiny side on grass mat.
- Pat rice onto nori sheet about 1cm thick. Start and end 2 cm away from top and bottom edges. Wet hands to prevent rice from sticking.
- Layer vegetable as desired.
- Roll up like a swiss roll.
- Roll onto sesame seeds
- Use a sharp knife and slice into 8 pieces.
- Alternatively place cling wrap onto grass mat and pat rice onto it.
- Place nori sheet onto rice
- Layer vegetable as desired and roll and slice
Serve with soy dip, pickled ginger and wasabi or rasam
Method for rasam
Let’s Cook 🙂
- Soak the tamarind in 1 cup water for 10 minutes. Remove seeds and pulp – keep aside.
- Dry Roast and pound all rasam powder ingredients.
- Heat oil in a pot. Toss in onions and fry until golden brown. Add garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Throw in tomatoes and cook for a few seconds. Add salt as required.
- Add rasam powder, give it a good stir.
- Add tamarind extract and balance of water. Bring to a boil and then let it simmer to 20-25 minutes. Turn off heat.
- To temper – In a separate pan, heat oil and ghee, toss in mustard seeds and curry leaves. Seeds should pop and leaves should splatter. Add asafoetida and chillies. Pour into rasam.
- Add in fresh coriander leaves
- Serve with hot rice, or vegetarian sushi